(Marjariasana Yoga Pose or the Cat Pose Benefits) if you have just given birth and you are worried how to get your abdomen back to its original shape, practice Marjariasana regularly. Your abdominal muscles will get tightened and you will be happy to watch your belly get back to its normal shape.
Cat walk is famous all over the world, but we discuss about cat pose in yoga asana class. This cute domestic animal can be our good teacher to keep our neck, back muscles and spine flexible, overcome stiffness or rigidness of these muscles and tone the abdomen. Marjariasana (a Sanskrit term for cat pose) is taught in yoga asana class in 200 hour and 300 hour yoga teacher training classes.
How to do Marjariasana ?
- Sit in Vajrasana, lean forward putting both your hands perpendicular to the ground and palms on the floor pointing forward.
- You can shift the legs slightly apart. Now, your position resembles a standing cat with your trunk parallel to the ground and thighs vertical and straight.
- Relax your body in this base position – shoulder, back muscles and thighs should all relax.
- In this position, exhale completely letting your belly go inwards. You should move your head inwards between your shoulders while exhaling. Your back will automatically bend and arch upwards when you do this.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, take deep breath and begin with second step.
- The second step is to inhale and arch your back in the opposite direction. When you do this, the spine will bend slightly downwards. Now arch your head, neck and shoulders backwards as if you are looking up.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, take a deep breath and get back to the original position.
- This process of exhaling and inhaling can be repeated as many times as you are comfortable. Minimum six times will be ideal.
- You should do Marjariasana with slow and deep breathing focusing on the stretch caused at back, neck and shoulders in the process. With regular practice, you will feel that stiffness gradually disappears and your back muscles and spine become flexible.
Benefits of Marjariasana (The Cat Pose)
- Flexible spine and back muscles. People suffering from Spondylitis and slipped disk will be more benefited.
- Strengthened wrists and shoulders.
- Massage of lower abdomen that includes the digestive system, intestines and reproductive organs.
- Marjarisana relaxes the mind and improves blood circulation.
- Women can practice Marjarisana to tighten the abdominal muscles and resume to original shape post-pregnancy.
- Women who suffer menstrual irregularities, cramps and leucorrhoea get benefited from regular practice of Marjarisana. Reproductive disorders also get eliminated.
- Stop practicing Marjariasana if you have pain in neck, back and spine and consult doctor.
- If you are pregnant, be careful about contraction and stretch in the abdomen. Avoid any contraction in the abdomen.